Are There Different Types Of Acne?
posted: Jun. 14, 2023.
Discover how Dr. John Randall, our board-certified dermatologist, and the provider team at Randall Dermatology & Medspa in West Lafayette, Kokomo, Frankfort, Rensselaer, Terre Haute, Westfield, Monticello, Winamac, Williamsport, and Zionsville, IN, can help you get relief from acne.
How Acne Can Develop
Acne can develop in several different forms. You might notice small black dots, which are called blackheads, white bumps, which are called whiteheads or you might also notice large, painful, pus-filled bumps, known as cystic acne. Whatever type of acne you have, our dermatologist can help you enjoy clear skin again.
Acne can develop in multiple areas of your body, including your:
Acne is caused by:
- An infection in your pores
- An accumulation of excess oil and dead skin blocking your pores
- A hormonal imbalance
It’s tempting to pop or pick at your acne, but this can cause ugly acne scars. Leaving the acne alone can be a mistake too, because it may take a long time for acne to go away.
A much better choice is to seek out help from our dermatologist, who is an expert at treating acne. These are some common acne treatments your dermatologist may recommend:
- Professional strength benzoyl peroxide products to reduce or eliminate blocked pores
- Prescription oral and topical antibiotic medications to treat the underlying infection
- Prescription tretinoin medication to unblock clogged-up pores
- Laser therapy to kill the underlying bacteria causing infection
- Extraction of the blemishes using an extraction tool
- Hormone treatments to reduce acne caused by a hormonal issue
Get Relief From Acne
You can get relief from acne, and your dermatologist can help. To find out more about acne causes and treatment, talk with an expert. Call Dr. Randall and his provider team at Randall Dermatology & Medspa in West Lafayette and Kokomo, IN. Call (765) 463-6722 to reach the office in West Lafayette and (765) 452-8602 for Kokomo